Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Celebrating 17 years in business

Today marks 17 wonderful years in business. I can't hardly believe that it has been that many years. Where does the time go?

 I started out in North Canton at the Baker's Dozen Mini-Mall on South Main in 1997.  Maybe some of you remember that year and a half I was there?  That beginning year, the biggest hurdle was people discovering the shop and what I was doing. Incredible customers have always been the backbone and life-blood of this business, and for that I am deeply and forever thankful.

From the Baker's Dozen Mini-Mall  I moved in  down by Logan's Sporting Goods, also on South Main.  Just a few block down the street. During this time I also running a space on Butterbridge Road at the old Blue Craft Barn. The Logan location closed, and I then occupied the lower level of the Blue Craft Barn space.

When the Butterbridge space closed, I moved to Wilmot and was there a year and half. A barn space filled with antiques before reaching my third floor space.  Thank heavens I'm not there now as I don't believe--- as I grow older--- I could do those stairs.

At the same time I was in Wilmot I ran a Cherry Street location. That of course is in Canal Fulton and the space was behind The Mercantile. The Mercantile if you remember was ran by Rochelle Rossi. Those earliest years I carried so many brands of teddy bears I still wonder how I kept it all straight. 

Some of those earlier years I carried brands that are no longer available today.  Such as Annette Funicello, Knickerbocker, Cottage Collectibles, and Effanbee Bears those bears that are now only available on E-bay.  Who would have ever guessed that some of that stock has risen, and some of it has not.  All you need to do is take a look on E-bay and discover that it is such a wide price range.

The owners of the Wilmot Antique Barn decided to close, this current building became available.  Everything came here in 1999. This has been a permanent home for the business.  No more moving, no more starting over and I cherish being here.

In all those years many customers have been so loyal in following me to all of those locations and continue to be loyal and faithful.  Customers from years ago and even the "brand new" ones who walk in my door today--- in many instances have become extended family, which I am extremely happy to have.  For it is the customers who truly make this business what it is.

Events have played a part in this location from Linda Fulmer who operated Bebe BearsBebe Bears, unfortunately is now no longer making bears. Then there was Cindy Maguire who operated China Cupboard-- and is still in business.  Leann Snyder who operated Busser Bears which is no longer in  business.    Last September brought Felicia Hymer the "Bear Scout" and countless artesian bears to Canal Fulton for a one day super event.

Steiff Events have been so much fun with Dick Franz (the Steiff USA Archivist) here over the years. I've enjoyed showing the Steiff line twice a year.  I need to thank Cherie Baer Graham who has served as the Certified Steiff Repair/Restorer for years and the Steiff Company for their giveaway door prizes which make hose events so popular with collectors.

The future holds a special place in my heart, in large part because of the efforts of Charlie Dale, who is attempting to get my presence more internet and Facebook focused and is helping me with this blog, which you have been reading.  Future plans include my being on Twitter!

Hopefully the next 100 years-- when were all old and grey--- business will just as fun, warm, wonderful and fuzzy! So drop in, and say hello, whether you've been with me all these years or if your brand new to the area looking to buy a "forever" friend.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment